Home‎ > ‎

About Our Church

 History:
 

About 1835 Salem UB Church was founded through the efforts of John H. Miller, who built on a corner of his farm a wagon shed, the loft of which was used for religious instruction for the children. 

 

In 1840, because of the growing interest, the people of the community erected a structure of native stone. The first "Stone Church or Granite Hill Church" as it was sometimes called, served until 1888 when there was a need for a larger structure. The stone church was removed and a brick building placed on the same site. The new church was dedicated on November 18,1888.

 

In 1904 this second church was struck by lightning and destroyed. Funds were raised through subscription and the present (third) church was erected. It was dedicated on November 26, 1905. Acetylene gas was used for illumination. Salem Sunday School celebrated its 100th Anniversary in July 1935. Services were held each evening for a week. Approximately 200 people signed their names in a record book that week.

 

In 1946 the United Brethren in Christ Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church, and we became Salem Evangelical United Brethren Church.

 

In 1956 there was a need for further expansion and an addition was built which houses a kitchen, modern facilities and a social hall. A weeklong program to dedicate the new addition and celebrate the Centennial anniversary of the church was held.

 

In 1968, after merging with the Methodist denomination, we became Salem United Methodist Church. That same year a center aisle was made in the sanctuary.

 

Prior to the installation of a furnace, only the large Sunday School room was heated by a pot-bellied stove. In the winter months all Sunday school classes and worship services were held in the one room. When the weather was warm the men's Sunday school class met in the sanctuary on the west side, and the women met on the east side; and they would remain seated on separate sides during worship service.

 

Because of its rural setting our church has historically nurtured the social as well as the spiritual needs of its congregation.

 

Over 150 years Salem Church has grown from the "Pot Loft" to a progressive, expanding and caring congregation.

 
 
Salem Gulden's United Methodist Church and Cemetery is located at 224 Low Dutch Road in Mount Pleasant Township, Adams County, Pennsylvania. We are located about 4 1/2 miles east of Gettysburg, just a short distance off of Rt. 30.
 
Phone: 717-495-0936
Sunday School - 9:30 AM 
Worship: - 10:45 AM
 
Subpages (1): History of Salem Gulden
ą
SalemGulden UMC,
Aug 28, 2013, 7:32 AM
Comments